Applications for our Funded Primary Teaching for Mastery Work Group 2019/20 have now closed.
However our Primary Mastery Readiness Work Group is still open to applications. This programme is for schools who have a commitment to developing a teaching for mastery approach long term, but who currently need additional support for improving mathematics teaching, learning and leadership. Although the participation involves two teachers attending events outside of the school, it is expected that these two teachers have the opportunity to lead development across the whole school.
Each Work Group will be led by one of the Maths Hub’s Mastery Readiness Leads and involve up to eight primary schools. During the year, they will work closely together to develop subject and pedagogical knowledge as well as supporting teaching, learning and leadership of mathematics across the school by looking at the Five Big Ideas of Mastery Readiness to lay the foundations to developing teaching for mastery in an effective and sustainable manner. The Work Group activity will include:
- Each school identifying two teachers to lead developments within their school, one of whom should be the maths lead
- The two teachers working together with the Mastery Readiness Lead and teachers from the other Work Group schools in half termly workshops. It is vital that the headteacher attends at least the first workshop with their staff
- Each school receiving half termly support visits from the Mastery Readiness Lead to support the participants and leaders to develop and work on an action plan for the school
- The headteacher working with the Mastery Readiness Lead and other members of the Maths Hub leadership to develop whole school policies and structures to support teaching for mastery
- The lead teachers, supported by the headteacher, working with colleagues to lay foundations for developing teaching for mastery approaches in the classroom, supported by collaborative professional development activity
- Following the first year the schools are expected to then continue being part of the Teaching for Mastery Work Group led by a Mastery Specialist. Beyond that year, there will be opportunities to continue embedding a teaching for mastery approach with the support of a specialist and other schools.
If you are interested in applying for a place please click here for full information including an application form. Please return your form to email@example.com by Friday 18 October. The Work Group is due to commence after October half term, dates tbc.